As the most popular instant messaging app, WhatsApp offers you endless sets of useful and interesting features. The app is now used by millions of users from all over the world.
While the instant messaging app offers more features than its competitors, it still lacks some important ones. For example, WhatsApp is still unable to translate messages on the platform.
Sometimes you may receive messages on WhatsApp that may be difficult for you to understand simply because of the language.
It’s a very common problem, especially if you have a friend who doesn’t share a common language. Also to have the opportunity to translate WhatsApp messages can be a great addition, especially if you are dealing with foreign clients.
How to Translate WhatsApp Messages (3 Methods)
Although WhatsApp doesn’t allow you to translate messages, a few workarounds still allow you to translate messages in simple steps. Below we have shared some easy methods to translate WhatsApp messages. Let’s get started.
1. Translate WhatsApp messages with Gboard
This is the easiest way to translate WhatsApp messages. If you’re using an Android smartphone, Gboard is your default keyboard app. Here is how to translate whatsapp messages on Android with Gboard.
1. First download and install Gboard app on Android if it is not installed. If it is already installed, update it from the Google Play Store.
2. Launch the WhatsApp app on your smartphone and open the conversation.
3. Now, long press on the text you want to translate and tap three dots Upper right.
4. Select ‘Copy‘ from the list of options that appears. This will copy the text to the clipboard.
5. Now tap on the message field of WhatsApp. This will open Gboard; press the menu button and select ‘Translate‘.
6. Next, paste the text you have copied. You will see text is translated to your chosen language in real time.
7. You can easily change the translated language by pressing the output language button.
That’s it! That’s how easy it is to translate WhatsApp messages on Android using the Gboard app.
2. Translate WhatsApp messages using Google Translate
The Google Translate app is available on the App Store for Android and iPhone. The good thing about Google Translate is that it can translate texts, images and voices. How to use the Google Translate app to translate your WhatsApp messages.
1. First download and install Google translator app on your smartphone.
2. When the app opens, tap your profile picture Upper right.
3. Select ‘Settings‘ from the list of options that appears.
4. On Settings, tapPress to translate‘ option.
5. On the Tap to translate screen, enable the switch for:
- Use Press to translate
- Show floating icon
- Automatically translate copied text
6. Now open WhatsApp and select the conversation where you want to translate text.
7. Long press the text to select it. Once selected, press liquid ‘Google translator‘ icon.
8. This will open Google Translate in a floating window. You can see text translation. You can change the language, have Google Translate speak the text, etc.
That’s it! Here’s how to use Google Translate to translate WhatsApp messages on Android into any language.
3. Translate WhatsApp messages on Google Pixel
If you have a Google Pixel 6, you can use the live translation feature to translate your WhatsApp messages. Live Translate is introduced on the Pixel 6 series and is available even on the Pixel 7 series.
The feature makes real-time translation possible. When it detects a text in a language other than the one your phone uses, it lets you translate it into your language.
This is a useful feature, but currently it is only limited to Pixel smartphones. If you have a Pixel 6 or later, follow these steps to translate your WhatsApp messages.
- First you open Settings app on your Pixel smartphone.
- When the Settings app opens, tap System.
- On the system, select Live Translate. On the next screen, enable ‘Use Live Translate‘ option.
- When done, select the default language for translation.
- Go to WhatsApp and open the conversation.
- If the function now detects a language that is different from the default system language, it will give you an option to translate the text at the top.
- Press ‘Translate to (language)‘ on the top.
That’s it! This will translate the text messages on WhatsApp in no time.
Other ways to translate WhatsApp messages?
Apart from these three methods, there are other ways to translate WhatsApp messages. You can use third-party language translator apps to translate WhatsApp messages.
You even have the option of using online translators to translate the messages. All these apps and services require manual text input on the translator.
So these are easy and simple methods to translate WhatsApp messages on Android to any language. If you need more help translating WhatsApp messages, let us know in the comments. If the article helped you, be sure to share it with your friends.